Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Transcript and Answers: Polish prisoners put paint to paper creating religious art


A steady hand and a lot of patience are required to paint a picture like this. But these artists aren't short of time; they're all inmates at the Bialystok prison in the east of Poland. And prisoners like Malgorzata -- sentenced to 24 years in jail -- have uncovered some hidden talents. 
"I never knew how to paint. It wasn't my cup of tea. And now, I'm starting to make progress, I can see it myself and I'm happy with how I'm doing." Malgorzata's sentence was cut by a third owing to good behaviour - but she still has another eight years to serve. The idea behind the programme is to help the prisoners before they re-enter society, developing confidence and exploring the spiritual history of the paintings. 
"At the start most inmates come to kill a bit of time, so that it passes more quickly, to try something more interesting. Some also do it to earn good behaviour, but at the end of the classes everyone wants to have their paintings blessed and keep them." 
In a predominantly Catholic country, the Bialystok region is the stronghold of the Polish Orthodox Church.
"It calms me down and brings me peace, I have a lighter heart and my faith is strengthened. I already pray to the picture of the Virgin Mary that I created." The prison currently only runs two workshops - but if more funding’s provided it's hoped other inmates will have the chance to put paint to paper. 
Answers:
1. b
2. b
3. a
For information about eflex languages go to: http://www.eflexlanguages.com/

For some examples of our online courses go to: http://www.eflexenglish.com/ and enter demo.pe for name and password. 
The modules marked ACTIVE are available for you to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment